links

search

powered by tumblr
seattle theme by parker ehret

  1. The finished board all put back together. Took it out for a spin today and floats like a champ. It added a little bit of weight to it but still floats. 

     
     
  2. Finished fiber glassing and hot coating the broken board. I used some Q-Cell mixed in to fill in the chunk missing from the rail and sanded it back to the shape I needed. There were some rough patches around the edges that I could have filled in a little better but It turned out pretty good. I sanded this on Sunday and I’ll have some of the finished photos up soon enough.

     
     
  3. Here are the photos from gluing the board together. I mixed plenty of Resin and Q-Cell and wrapped a garbage around the rack and the bottom of the board to avoid getting drippies all over the place. I used the Bill Barnfield method to making sure the rocker was lined up and in place and got pretty lucky in this case as it fit pretty snug and was a clean break. I held it down for a little with my hand to get any air bubbles out of the middle of the board but overall gravity did its job in holding things together.

     
     
  4. My neighbor broke this board a little while ago and I’m finally getting around to fix it up. I cleaned it up around the edges and ripped off the loose fiberglass. There’s a nice gash of foam that got ripped off when it broke so I’ll have to fill that somehow. The plus side is this fits together really nicely without any help and even stays upright without any tape or clamps when pieced together. This will be a fun project and I’ll keep everyone posted on the progress. I’ll be basing most of the repair off of the Swaylock’s thread - http://www2.swaylocks.com/node/1021318

     
     
  5. The finished product. #0003

     
     
  6. Glassed #0003 - the 5’6” nugget. Improving a little bit with my glassing skills but still not great at “Resin Management” and even with some extra resin I’m not soaking the rails as best I can. Overall though this board came out looking pretty good. The finished product photos are coming soon. I like the before and after of the garage for this one.

     
     
  7. I bought some more acrylic paint from Michael’s. Figured I’d sample how they all come out with this one. I’m getting excited about surfing this one - really anxious to glass it! Should be done next week!

     
     
  8. I filled the holes in #003 with some lightweight Spackle from the depot. Definitely looks a lot better and will be smoother when glassing the board. 

     
     
  9. #0003 ended up being 5’6” x 20 1/2” x 2 1/2”. I was surprised how much thickness I got out of the shape. The right side of the deck sits a little lower because of the crap but I’m not too worried as it will fill in with resin and the hot coat will smooth it out. It’s a nugget. 

     
     
  10. I started to sand this guy down to see what I can get out of it. It’s looking like it’s going to be in the mid 5’ range. I’m a little nervous because of the thickness and the old patches that ate through the foam on the deck. We’ll see how they turn out.